So, the new iPhone 14 is probably the most repairable smartphone because the iPhone 7, in line with the specialists over at iFixit. This is smart, since not solely has Apple been working to make it simpler for house owners to restore their gadgets, nevertheless it additionally helps Apple technicians when they’re repairing iPhones.
What’s unusual is that the iPhone 14 Professional and Professional Max strains aren’t as straightforward to restore. Maybe Apple has determined it prudent to check the brand new design for sturdiness earlier than rolling it out throughout the board.
There are two issues that you just want to have the ability to perform profitable repairs: Know-how and the best instruments.
And iFixit has each.
For know-how, go to the corporate’s in depth restore guides. Merely the perfect info obtainable, and all free.
However what about instruments?
Let’s check out among the instruments I take advantage of. Not all of those are particular to the iPhone, however these are the issues that I take advantage of probably the most when diagnosing or repairing defective devices.
My toolkit of alternative for quite a lot of years now’s the iFixit Professional Tech Toolkit. Just about every little thing I want, all saved in a single place and in a handy carry case. I’ve owned — and have been utilizing — my set for a few years, and it is nonetheless going sturdy.
If I needed to describe the brand new iFixit Professional Tech Toolkit in a single phrase, it will be “excellent.”
- 64 bit driver equipment.
- Anti-static wrist strap.
- Small suction cup.
- 3 x iFixit opening instrument.
- iFixit opening picks x6.
- Nylon-tipped reverse tweezers.
- Angled ESD tweezers.
- Blunt ESD tweezers.
- 2x spudger.
- Metallic spudger.
- Magnetic pad.
- Device roll.
Here is an in depth itemizing of all of the bits within the driver equipment:
- Phillips 000, 00, 0, 1, 2.
- Flathead 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 mm.
- Torx T2, T3, T4, T5.
- Torx Safety TR6, TR7, TR8, TR9, TR10, TR15, TR20, TR25.
- Pentalobe P2, P5, P6.
- JIS J000, J00, J0, J1.
- Hex 0.7, 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 mm.
- Tri-point Y000, Y00, Y0, Y1.
- Nut driver 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 mm.
- Sq. 0, 1, 2.
- Gamebit 3.8, 4.5 mm.
- Spanner 4, 6, 8.
- Triangle 2, 3 mm.
- SIM eject bit.
- 1/4″ to 4 mm driver adapter.
USB energy testers have change into a staple of my testing tools. A great tester can take a look at if USB ports are outputting the correct amount of energy, test the facility draw of gadgets, measure how a lot capability a battery has, test what masses USB-C cables can carry, and way more.
This is likely one of the simpler to make use of USB testers on the market. It comes with fairly good directions, and there aren’t too many buttons and controls to get all complicated.
Along with the show this instrument can save knowledge to a PC logger, which implies you could perform longer checks.
This one instrument does a lot that it is indispensable!
- Show: IPS 1.14-inch 240×135 pixel.
- Connector: Full 24-pin Kind-C ports with USB3.2 Gen4 10Gbps cross by means of.
- Voltage Present Vary: DC 4-26V(0.1-26V PC) 0-6.8A.
- Decision & Accuracy: 0.0001V 0.0001A 0.1%+second.
- E-mark reader: Assist.
- Gravity sensor: Assist.
- VBUS Oscilloscope: 8Msps, 1mV decision.
- Quick-charge set off for PD, PD PPS, QC2.0/3.0, FCP, SCP, AFC, VOOC, SuperVOOC.
My eyes aren’t what they was once. Properly, to be sincere, my eyes had been by no means that good, however I managed. Since I used to be discovering duties involving small issues to be a bit problematic, it was time to do one thing about it.
Enter this low cost magnifier, which not solely options magnification lenses, but in addition comes full with LED lights.
- The headscarf is adjustable and tremendous snug.
- The dual-LED lights powered by two AAA batteries are brilliant, and may pan left and proper, or be angled up or down.
- Comes with three lenses (a hard and fast 1.9x stereo lens, a drop-down 1.9x stereo lens, and a 4.5x loupe) permitting for 4 magnifications as much as 8.3x.
- The lenses are top quality and distortion-free.
- It is light-weight but sturdy.
I’ve used mine now for nicely over a yr now, and I’ve no complaints. I actually love the pan and tilt LEDs, as this enables me to get the sunshine precisely on what I am doing.
When the diagnostics are carried out, it is time to begin repairing issues. And whereas most parts as of late are disposable, it is good once I come throughout one thing that is repairable.
Perhaps it is a cable that is come unfastened, or a element that wants changing.
That is when a soldering iron is available in tremendous useful. I take advantage of a butane-powered iron as a result of that offers me flexibility to restore issues when away from an influence provide.
- Cordless butane soldering torch, excellent not just for soldering but in addition pyrography, shrinking heatsink, chopping plastic, heating, and different pastime and craft initiatives.
- Built-in ignition set off with security lock to stop unintended ignition.
- Variable temperature management for exact management, from 1022° F – 2192° F.
- Flame lock-on mechanism retains the torch on a steady flame for easier operation.
- Versatile 14-piece accent equipment.
- Refillable tank with a 75 minutes burn time.
I used to assume that thermal cameras had been a cool toy for folks with extra money than sense. However having used one for a couple of years now, I am discovering it invaluable to have the “superpower” to have the ability to see in infrared.
As a result of in relation to electrical repairs, extra warmth signifies that there’s one thing unsuitable, and this digicam permits me to see this overloading instantly.
I have been utilizing the thermal digicam within the Ulefone Armor 9 to identify dangerous connections and overheating parts, and it is an awesome instrument for recognizing warmth buildup in PCs. It is also nice across the residence for a myriad of issues, from recognizing warmth escape factors to discovering airlocks within the heating system.
- MediaTek Helios P90 octa-core processor, as much as 2.2GHz.
- 6.3-inch 2340 x 1080 FHD+ 410 PPI LCD multi-touch show with IPS expertise.
- 8GB LPDDR4x dual-channel RAM.
- 128GB UFS2.1 ROM.
- SD card As much as 2TB.
- FLIR Lepton thermal digicam with -10℃ – 400℃ vary (assisted by a 5-megapixel rear digicam).
- Samsung 64-megapixel rear digicam.
- 2-megapixel secondary rear digicam.
- Quad-LED flash.
- 8- megapixel entrance digicam.
- 6600mAh battery.
- 18W quick charging supported.
- Fingerprint unlock.
- Twin-SIM help.
- Headphone jack.
- Endoscope port.
- USB-C port.
- IP68/IP69K/MIL-STD-810G rated.